Best Practice: Return of a Juvenile Serving Correctional Sentence

Please note, this document is not a policy or procedure, but simply a reference to assist states when dealing with this type of case. 

Practices may vary, however the current rules and procedures of returns remain the same.

  1. The demanding state’s ICJ Office will verify entry of the warrant in NCIC, obtain a copy of the warrant, and forward it to the holding state’s ICJ Office.
  1. The holding state’s ICJ Office should contact the facility where the juvenile is being held and inform them of the demanding state’s warrant and their intention to return.  The contact at the facility could be a prison caseworker, warden, parole officer, general counsel for the prison system or someone else the ICJ Office does not communicate with on a regular basis.
  1. Just prior to release from the committing facility, coordinate with the holding facility and the county to arrange transport to the local jail or juvenile detention to be held on the demanding state’s warrant.
  1. Proceed with the normal ICJ processes for voluntary and non-voluntary return of juveniles/runaways. (ICJ Rules Section 600)

If the warrant is for a juvenile case in the demanding state, it falls under ICJ jurisdiction. The matter is not within the jurisdiction of the Interstate Compact on Adult Offender Supervision (ICAOS).

Note: This Best Practice may not be applicable where an individual is serving a sentence in a federal correctional institution.  Since the federal government is not a party to the Compact, federal authorities are not subject to the Compact.


Best Practices Date
Revision Date