Yes, if you are a on probation or parole, you are eligible for a transfer of supervision if you meet the following criteria:

  1. Classified as a juvenile in the sending state;
  2. An adjudicated delinquent, adjudicated status offender, or has a deferred adjudication in the sending state; and
  3. Under the jurisdiction of a court or appropriate authority in the sending state; and
  4. Has a plan that includes residing in another state for more than 90 consecutive days in any 12-month period;
  5. And has more than ninety (90) days or an indefinite period of supervision remaining at the time the sending state submits the transfer request; and
  6. Will reside with a parent, legal guardian, relative, non-relative or independently, excluding residential facilities; or a full-time student at an accredited secondary school, or accredited university, college, or licensed specialized training program and can provide proof of acceptance and enrollment.

You are still responsible for restitution and court fines.  You would make payments directly the court or agency that ordered the restitution (in the sending state).

The approval process may take up to 45 calendar days. To ensure the process occurs in a timely fashion, make sure that the person with whom you will reside is available for the home evaluation visit.

If you are on probation or parole and need to reside in another state (called the receiving state), you must request an interstate compact transfer through your probation or parole officer. If the receiving state agrees to the transfer of supervision request, the you may relocate. If you don’t have a legal guardian in the state where probation or parole was ordered (called the sending state), but you do have a legal guardian in the receiving state, the receiving state is required to accept the case and may choose to expedite the transfer of supervision process.

Reporting requirements vary by state. The state in which you will reside will communicate reporting and/or registration requirements to the probation or parole offer, who will in turn, communicate requirements to you and your legal guardian.

A transfer of supervision request must be submitted so that you can have a probation or parole officer in the state where you live. You must maintain contact with your supervising officer until the receiving state accepts supervision. The officer must still submit a transfer of supervision referral packet to the receiving state. 

You must let your supervising officer know immediately if you must relocate with your legal guardian.  Depending on your circumstance, they will determine if a travel permit will be issued for immediate travel or relocation, prior to a transfer of supervision case acceptance.

The receiving state is required to accept your transfer case if there is no legal guardian remaining in the sending state (where you were adjudicated), but there is a legal guardian in the receiving state. 

You must be supervised in the state in which you reside, which is considered the receiving state for the purposes of the interstate transfer of supervision case. The probation officer in the state in which you were adjudicated, or the sending state, will issue you a travel permit and will submit a transfer of supervision request through the state compact office.

If you don’t have a legal guardian in the sending state, and your legal guardian lives in the receiving state, the transfer of supervision cannot be denied. However, the probation officer in the state in which you reside is still required to do a home evaluation visit.

A travel permit is written permission from your supervising officer that authorizes you to travel from one state to another. Travel permits are required for juveniles on probation or parole who need to travel out-of-state for more than 24 hours  if they were:

  • Adjudicated or have deferred adjudications and are on supervision for one of the following:
    • i. sex-related offenses;
    • ii. violent offenses that have resulted in personal injury or death; or
    • iii. offenses committed with a weapon;

  • Travel permits are also required is your situation fits one of the following: 
    • i. state committed (on parole); 
    • ii. pending a request for transfer of supervision, and who are subject to the terms of the Compact; 
    • iii. returning to the state from which they were transferred for the purposes of visitation; 
    • iv. transferring to a subsequent state(s) with the approval of the original sending state; or
    • v. transferred and the victim notification laws, policies and practices of the sending and/or receiving state require notification. 

You must ask your juvenile probation or parole officer if you need a travel permit, as they are required for some juveniles and optional for others.  If you are required to have a travel permit, the officer will submit the notification to the ICJ Office before you visit another state.

A person on probation or parole must be supervised by authorities in the state where they live.  The rules for how this works from state-to-state were adopted by law as part of the Interstate Compact for Juveniles.