Best Practice: Intrastate Relocations

Please note, this document is not a policy or procedure, but simply a reference to assist states when dealing with this type of case.

From time to time, juveniles move to a different residence within the receiving state after supervision is accepted. 

The receiving state is required to report the change in residence to the sending state under the provisions of Rule 5-101(4) and (5) which state:

(4) “The receiving state shall furnish written progress reports to the sending state on no less than a quarterly basis. Additional reports shall be sent in cases where there are concerns regarding the juvenile or there has been a change in residence or in the person with whom the juvenile resides.

(5) When the change of residence includes a change in the person with whom the juvenile resides, the sending state may request additional information regarding the new residence. If the sending state does not support this change, they shall notify the receiving state and propose an alternative living arrangement or affect the return of the juvenile.” 

Effective March 1, 2022, ICJ Rule 5-101 was amended to specifically clarify the requirements for each state when a change of residence occurs.  Through the modification of subsection (4) and addition of subsection (5), the Commission clarified that such changes must be reported by the receiving state and addressed how sending states may respond.    

The receiving state must send an additional progress report when there is change  in residence or change in the person with whom the juvenile resides. A receiving state may, at its own discretion, request a new home evaluation when the juvenile relocates to a new address and/or the family dynamics change. This does not alleviate the receiving state’s responsibility to submit quarterly progress reports within the required timeframe. Typically, when the juvenile relocates with the approved family and the dynamics remain unchanged, the receiving state’s internal protocol is followed.

The sending state may, at its own discretion, request additional information,  notify the receiving state if they do not support the change, propose an alternative living arrangement, or affect the return of the juvenile.


Best Practices PDF
Best Practices Date
Revision Date