Chapter 5.4 Discretionary Travel Permits

Discretionary Travel Permits

Travel permits are sometimes issued in cases in which they are not required, particularly when a supervised juvenile travels out-of-state to a residential facility for placement.   Pursuant to ICJ Rule 4-101(2)(f)(i), a supervised juvenile placed in a residential treatment facility is not eligible for a transfer of supervision through ICJ.  Nonetheless, some states issue travel permits for juveniles traveling to such facilities in the interest of community safety.  This scenario is permitted by ICJ Rule 8-101(2), which states: “juveniles traveling to a residential facility for placement shall be excluded from this rule; however, states may elect to use the Form VII Out-of-State Travel Permit and Agreement to Return for notification purposes.”